Varna is the caste of the native. The caste has a social aspect and also a spiritual one.
There are four Varnas
- Brahmin (or Vipra): priest, highest caste
- Kshattriya: warrior, ruler of the earth
- Vaishya: merchant, doing business
- Shudra: doing service, lowest caste
Vana is not only a wordly property of the native but has a deeper spiritual meaning.
- Brahmin: love to God is the source of spirituality
- Kshattriya: has to prove spiritual conciousness in wordly actions, given power by grace
- Vaishya: dealing, feeling the advantages of religious inclination
- Shudra: religious by tradition or not interested at all
Calculation of Varna
There are several different methods to determine the Varna, based upon
- Rasi of the Moon
- Navamsa of the Moon
- Other objects like Ascendant or Sun
- Nakshatra of the Moon (more than four Varnas)
Astakoota uses the first option (Rasi of the Moon).
|Brahmin||Water||Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces|
|Kshattriya||Fire||Aries, Leo, Sagittarius|
|Vaishya||Air||Gemini, Libra, Aquarius|
|Shudra||Earth||Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn|
Varna Matching in Astakoota
Rule: the Varna of the groom should be equal or higher than the Varna of the bride. Favourable combinations get 1 point, else 0.