Vedhas establish relationships between Nakshatras resp. points of the zodiac.
Vedhas can be compared with aspects. There are different types of aspects in classical Vedic Astrology: aspects between Rasis (like Graha and Rasi Drishti) and aspects between points of the zodiac (like Sputa Drishti).
Vedhas of Nakshatras
Each Nakshatra has three Vedhas.
- Forward: this Vedha appears if we travers Sbc in diagonal manner until we reach the next Nakshatra at the border of the chakra. Forward motion means that we have to go in positive (i.e. clockwise) direction.
- Opposite: this is the Nakshatra we reach if we traverse the chakra horizontally (for Nakshatras on the left and right) or vertically (for Nakshatras on the top and bottom).
- Backward: like forward Vedha, but in negative (i.e. counter clockwise) direction.
Forward direction means movement in the sense of a planet in direct motion. Backward direction is the movement of a retrograde planet, the opposite corresponds to a stationary planet.
- Aswini has forward vedha to Rohini, opposite Vedha to Purvaphalguni and backward Vedha to Jyestha.
- Swati has forward vedha to Jyeshta, opposite Vedha to Sathabish and backward Vedha to Rohini.
- Purvashadha has forward Vedha to Uttarabhadra, opposite Vedha to Aridra and backward Vedha to Hastha.
- Krittika has forward Vedha to Visakha, opposite Vedha to Sravana and backward Vedha to Bharani.
Vedhas of Individual Points in the Zodiac
Vedhas of Nakshatras are only one way of interpretation. The argument of Vedhas can also be applied to individual points of the zodiac.
Each individual point of the zodiac has three Vedas. The vedha point is reached if we make a proportional consideration (rule of three) regarding the longitude of a planet. E.g. The second degree of Aswini has its opposite point in the second degree of Purvaphalguni (counted from the end): 24 Leo.
Regions of the zodiac can be calulated in a simplar manner, i.e. by taking the start and end point of the region.
- The exaltation point of the Sun (10:00 Aries) has opposite Vedha with 16:40 Leo.
- The debilation point of the Sun (10:00 Libra) has opposite Vedha with 16:40 Aquarius.
- The moolatrikona of the Sun (0-20 Leo) has opposite Vedha with 6:40 - 26:40 Aries.
- The exaltation point of Jupiter (3 Cancer) has opposite Vedha with 0 Sagittarius.
- The debilation point of Jupiter (3 Capricorn) has opposite Vedha with 30 Taurus, etc.